Social Media and Extra Curricular Activities

Should What You Say On Social Media Be Means For You To Be Kicked Off Extracurricular Activities?

This is a question that always comes up, so today, I want to frankly answer it.

To me, what you say on social media should definitely impact your easy access to privileges. From a young age, we’ve always heard that the golden rule is that we should treat others as we would like to be treated, meaning that our behavior towards others will always determine the consequences and how others will react to us. This includes the revocation of privileges. So, if this the guidelines  we’ve been leading through all our lives, then my question is that why should anything change because of Social Media? However, moral beliefs are not the only thing that leads me to believe that our social media outbursts should affect our extracurricular activities. Regardless of whether you believe in the Golden Rule that I mentioned before or not, no one can deny that it stings when one uses abusive words or the uncomfortable feeling that blankets us when soeone posts inappropriate material. So shouln’t one’s insensitivity have some negative effect? In school, we read an article to educate ourselves about this topic. After a 6th grader drowned in the Atlantic Ocean, a 5th grade teaher Christine Rubino posted on Facebook:

“After  today, I’m thinking that the beach sounds like a wonderful idea for my 5th graders!”

Later on, she added to this post: “I HATE THEIR GUTS! They are all the devil’s spawn!”

After reading that, wouldn’t you feel rather afraid or uncomfortable for your child, sibling, friend etc.? And don’t you think that this teacher should be punished for the fear that she knowingly spread? Unknowingly or not, children of ages much younger have been spreading this type of spontaneous fear, this awkward feeling, and I feel that they should have privileges taken for such work. So yeah, that’s why I think that social media should be used as a base to determine our extracurricular activities. It’s true that you can argue that as an American, we have our freedom of speech, as well as our right to privacy. But to me, our rights have reached their limitations when we abuse our rights and use them to hinder one’s happiness and feeling of safety.

Thank you,

Sara

Feel free to comment your views on this topic as well, but please don’t forget to be kind and courteous, even if you disagree. On this blog, the Golden Rule indeed is to be kind and respectful, and so please respect others’ viewpoints while commenting.