The Art of Commenting:

Here, in this blog, all visitors are expected to comment in a safe, kind, responsible, and respectable manner. To help you do this, follow the steps below!

1. Positive Comments:

There’s a difference between advising and criticizing. As a visitor, you are not only allowed, but encouraged, to advise and provide suggestion for the author, as long as it’s constructive. Remember, there is nothing such as a ‘bad piece of writing’ and there is always room for improvement. Your comments should always bring someone up, not down!

2.  Highway Comments, not Dead-End Comments:

Try to make your comments creative, so that they actually inspire a response from the author, or could spark up a conversation. As positive as ‘cool’ and ‘awesome’ may seem, they’re not exactly your ideal comments. Instead, they would be considered as dead-end comments, because they end a conversation. They basically signify that there is nothing else left to say. So, while writing a comment, remember: Highway comments, not dead-end comments!

3. Proof Read Your Comments:

This guideline has several components to it, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It is important to make sure that you spell each word correctly. It becomes even more important to proof-read with settings like Auto-Correct that-change incorrectly spelled words into completely different words. Another important thing that comes with spelling is how you should never use texting shortcuts. You should always spell every word out.

With punctuation, remember to end your sentences with a either a period, question mark, or exclamation point. On a side-note, I would recommend to limit the number of question marks and exclamation points to 3.Using multiple exclamation points or question marks, is just pointless.

And now, with grammar, just remember some simple things: Your sentence(s) need to make sense!  Remember to start your sentences with capital letters, to always capitalize ‘I’ when it is used alone, and to end  sentences with punctuation marks. If you can remember just these little things, you’ve got grammar under control!

4. Appropriate Language:

Remember, just use appropriate language, that you would feel comfortable saying to anyone at school and home! One thing to be careful about is to never, ever reveal your personal information, such as your name, address, or school. You should avoid posting pictures of yourself, unless it’s for a valid reason.

And so, it turns out that the art of commenting has a bit onto it than what everyone thinks. Still, it’s pretty easy, as long as you can remember the 4 basic rules:

1. Positive Comments
  2. Highway Comments
  3. Proof-Reading
  4. Appropriate Language

Here’s an example of a comment I wrote. Notice that I try to ask questions, and put my viewpoints, and connect to the author to try to spark up some conversation! I try to say all positive points that seem nice and kind.

Comment:

Hi! I really like how you really explain everything, and how you use seemingly small things, like what type of clothes you wear, to represent a much bigger part of your personality! Also, I understand how you feel about school getting interrupted because of silly disruptions, especially since I have a similar mindset! Overall, I see that you put effort into making this post a nice piece of writing, and it really shows!

Kristin’s Blog

Above is the comment I posted on a classmate’s blog. A link is posted in case you would like to visit her page. I chose to read that specific blog because I found it interesting. Its first sentence itself was a funny one that I hadn’t exactly expected to see! The author of the blog and I shared quiet a few opinions, such as that we both immensely dislike disruptions cause between school because of silly behavior. I commented on her page because I thought that she put a lot of effort on her post, and I really was interested in it!

Good Luck with your commenting!

Thank you (again) / Danke /Bedankt / Merci / Tak / شكرا /Gracias ! /Obrigado/ Grazie / спасибо, ありがとう!ευχαριστώ 謝謝 Shukriya /teşekkür / благодаря / kiitos Christian Kortum via Compfight